7.08.2009

The dress...

Now for the moment some of you have been waiting for.
From start to finish...

THE PATTERN
1953 Vintage Vogue Halter Dress... chic.

So why did I pick THIS pattern? And why not purchase the dress?
Well... lets think about a few things. A) It was a very small wedding, as in parents only B)It was more economical for me to do so C) I wanted the dress to be special and unique to my personality and D) Have you ever known me to take the easy way out of anything?!



CONSTRUCTION...
I'm going to skip past the initial step which is cutting out the pattern, because who cares!? It's all about the finished product anyway. No one is going to care about all the blood, sweat, tears, and pins I used!

I forgot how good I really had it when I was taking fashion class, with large tables to cut my patterns on. I used the floor to do this. Needless to say, I ended up w/ major back problems afterwards and it took me... well, I won't tell you how long it took me to cut it out. Just enjoy the pictures!

BUTTONHOLES: (argh!!!)
Who knew 5 small buttonholes would be such a headache? I did. But I love the look.

 

THE BODICE:
And of course, my favorite part. Major darts and boning? Count me in!

 

THE FINISHED BODICE:
Very excited! This was the longest part of the project. The skirt took less than 1/2 hr to complete.

 

ATTACHING THE SKIRT TO THE BODICE:
(Got it in one shot! Sewed through 3 layers including 12 darts and 4 bones!)

 

THE HEM:
The annoying part! (of course I cheated) :D

 

MAKING SURE IT FITS
I had my fingers crossed on this!!! And I tried not to exhale.

 

STRAPS UP OR DOWN?
Ok, here is one of maybe about 5 complaints I had about this pattern. Why go through all the trouble of adding all these little hand-sewn details, and then come with this weak halter strap construction? It just looks... well... you fill in that blank.

 

LAST DETAILS -- A HAT:
I decided that since I wanted to stick w/ the period, a common accessory (besides the shortie length gloves) was a cocktail hat.

 


Next Blog... the reveal...

No comments:

Post a Comment